The Lake Pond

The embankment of The Reservoir rising behind the site of the Lake Pond.
The embankment of The Reservoir rising behind the site of the Lake Pond.

The first depiction of the ‘Lake Pond’ is Rocque’s 1735 Map, suggesting that it was established alongside the other ornamental water bodies in Wanstead Park in the earlier eighteenth century. It is depicted as a long rectangle, runiing approximately north-south, with apsidal ends. As constructed, it was located just to the east of the embankment of The Reservoir, with a narrow gap between. The Lake Pond was abandoned at some point between 1841 (when it is still depicted on the tithe map), and 1850 (where it is depicted as having been planted over on the Wellesley Estate map). This is later in date than the loss of the reservoir to the east, which took place around 1819.

Some of the earthworks of the dam of this pond are still visible, and were recorded during the Debois Survey. The hollow of the pond itself is also visible on LiDAR .

The lake system of Wanstead Park: introduction

Overview of the lake system 

The Basin

The Holt Channel 

The Serpentine Lakes 

The Great Lake 

The Reservoir 

The Shoulder of Mutton Pond

The Heronry Pond 

The islands of the Heronry Pond 

The Perch Pond 

The Square Pond 

The Straight Canal 

The Ornamental Water