The Friends of Wanstead Parklands are leading a walk around Wanstead Park on Sunday 16 June. This, the third in a series of five walks, will take participants on a leisurely stroll around the less frequented eastern side of the park, and will focus on the Ornamental Water and the River Roding.
Starting at 11am at the car park in the Warren Road entrance, the walk will probably take two hours, and will point out surviving features of the historic gardens, including magnificent vistas toward the Grotto and the site of Wanstead House. It will pass the refreshment kiosk and end at The Temple. Now housing a visitor centre and gift shop, the Temple is open every weekend. It was originally built around 1760 by John, 2nd Earl Tylney of Castlemaine.
The walks are free, but donations to the group are welcome. The weather forecast is not currently very optimistic, but the walk will take place regardless. As paths may be muddy, suitable footwear is advised.