The Friends of Wanstead Parklands had a record turnout for their free guided walk around Wanstead Park on Sunday 20 August. Nearly 40 people enjoyed a leisurely stroll around the local beauty spot in the warm sunshine.
Led by Friends' member Richard Arnopp, participants were taken on a leisurely stroll around the core area of the former pleasure gardens of Wanstead House.
Starting at 11:00am outside the park's Georgian Temple, the walk took about two hours and focused on surviving features of the historic landscape. Richard also took the opportunity to talk about issues relating to the management of the park, the state of the lakes, and the other complex problems which the evolving Parkland Plan is designed to address.
The walk ended back at The Temple, where members of the Friends served tea and cake. Now housing a visitor centre and gift shop, the Temple is open every weekend. It was originally built around 1760 by John, 2nd Earl Tylney of Castlemaine.
The Friends are grateful to City of London staff for providing facilities at The Temple and for publicising the event, the Wanstead Village Directory, and all those who had helped promote the walk on social media.
The next scheduled walk will be on Sunday 22 October. Details will be published nearer the time.