Painshill, near Cobham, Surrey, England, is one of the finest remaining examples of an 18th-century English landscape park. It was designed and created between 1738 and 1773 by the Hon. Charles Hamilton. Painshill is now owned by Elmbridge Borough Council and managed by the Painshill Trust. Painshill, which is open to the public, has a Grade 1 Heritage listing. In 1998 Painshill was awarded the Europa Nostra Medal for the "Exemplary restoration from a state of extreme neglect, of a most important 18th century landscape park and its extraordinary buildings."
On 12 March 2014 a party comprising representatives of the Friends of Wanstead Parklands, the Corporation of London and others were given a guided tour of the restored park by members of the Painshill Trust. Our thanks to them and, in particular, to Peter Wilkinson and John Meehan for organising it. Highlight of the visit was the Crystal Grotto, rescued from a state of complete ruin and spectacularly restored.
The lake at Painshill, showing the bridge and Gothic Temple.